Search This Blog

Monday 16 May 2022

Christiane's Report on the District Conference

Christiane

There are many reasons to attend a Toastmasters conference, but especially the District conference has the winners of 3 levels of contests which means they are the creme de la creme.

The emotions are high during the contests and the speeches inspire you to become a better person. The best speech I've ever heard at a contest inspired me to stand up when I see injustice in my life. "All that needs to be done for evil to prevail is good men doing nothing." The example of the speaker took us back to his schooldays where his classmate Helen stood up for her fellow peer when the teacher acted out after not receiving the correct answer to his math question. What made the speech so much more memorable was the introduction to this heartfelt story through examples of possible discriminations and injustices we might have already experienced in the work place (or will never experience): heritage, accent, skin colour, pregnancy status, age discrimination. I never knew the list could be so long.
The expectation is there to laugh out loud during the Humorous Speech contest. However I laughed most when Annette spoke about her uniqueness of her hairstyle during her Table Topic, only to half-turn and spot the contest chair. Priceless!

Since the conference is over 2 days, there is also time for workshops/ educationals and all three that I attended helped me to become a better speaker (with a better voice and connecting with my story) as well as a better evaluator. Kaj was able to give us valid points of improvement of the opening speech by Amy as well as the test speech by Robert. For advanced speakers, we should concentrate on authenticity, purpose to the audience or engagement. Very valid points which I plan to use over the coming months on our advanced speakers in the club.

The highlight of the conference was Tony bringing home the win for Sandgate Toastmasters in Evaluation (and the celebration afterwards) as well as talking to fellow Toasties about their life.
I'm looking forward to the next rounds of contests and conferences. Will I see you there?

No comments:

Post a Comment